Tuesday, June 4, 2013

My first 24 hours of being a vegetarian

On July third of 2011, I learned what was really happening to the cow before it was on my plate. 
I went to my friend's house for a sleepover and we were checking out her DVD she got from warped tour. On the cover was listed favorite bands/musicians like Nevershoutnever, All Time Low, We the Kings, Rise Against, Death Cab for Cutie, Hellogoodbye, and many more. We figured it was interviews and backstage access because we had never heard of PETA, which was the "name" of the short film. While our inspirations appeared on the screens, they each gave messages about animals and how they are being treated. Then came the graphic footage from factory farms and fur farms that made me and my friend take a pledge to ditch the meat and live a cruelty-free lifestyle.
The next day was the test.. July fourth had temptation put in the form of intoxicating scents of meat that called out my name. But the images I viewed stuck with me, and no longer did I see a burger but a full cow in absolute misery. I stuck with watermelon and noodles even though I didn't feel complete without a piece of chicken; I shook of my desires and placed a satisfied smile on my face. My family members taunted me, all agreeing I wouldn't last this animal-friendly phase. It hurt to know that they weren't being supportive of my pledge and diet and next thing I knew I was rambling on and on about the importance of ditching meat-  not only for animal's sake but for my own health as well. From then on I came up with comebacks to answer every disapproving shun to my diet. I became rather good at debating and explaining what was happening in the meat industry. Since that day, I've passed on meat, animal dissection, fur clothes, Seaworld, and animal testing. I feel much better about my life and I feel like I am being the change I want to see in the future simple by acting and providing education to those who ask.
My family is now very accepting and they're honestly proud of my decision.
I challenge anyone who wants to be that change to ditch meat. Research the fascinating lifestyle, you may find that it isn't as crazy as it sounds! 

No comments:

Post a Comment